Monday 21 January 2013

Bad Weather, Signalling Problems and Generally Bad Service

OK.. so firstly, I must wish you all a Happy New Year and hope that you all make 2013 'your' year! I know I will be :) 

Secondly, I have to apologise as it's been some time since I've written anything at all. Partly because I've been really busy at work and home, partly because I was worried I was focusing too much on Android but mostly, because I haven't been bothered.

However, after a horrible journey home and the dying need to vent my frustration somewhere I decided that what a better place to do it than here, on my blog. (I initially started to vent it via my Facebook status, but soon realised what I had to say was far too long to go on there).

So... Quick question. What the fudge does "Signalling Problems" mean?!? I've just spent 1 and half hours (for a journey that usually takes 45 mins) on a extremely over cramped train all because of the same old story. Whenever there is an issue with First Great Western rail service @FGW they blame it on one of 2 things. Bad weather, or signalling problems. I mean, c'mon... you can 'almost' accept the weather excuse, as it's something out of our control. But sometimes, they use this excuse when there is bad rain, and c'mon... surely, rain can't affect a train that doesn't have to worry about corners as it's fixed to following a bloody track. But signalling issues... WTF does that mean? Again, you could accept this if it was a one off event, or if maybe a couple of trains were delayed, but said 'signalling issues' cause problems for ALL the trains in the entire area most days, and not just up to the point of where they 'claim' the issue is... but ongoing from there also.

To explain the above, I have come up with a very simple example... see below.

Train leaves point A and needs to stop at points B, C, D & E... But there are 'signalling issues' at point B. So you can sort of understand (if that were true) that there might be a delay whilst the train travels between A, B and maybe even C... but once they have passed point C, surely the delay shouldn't continue to grow. It makes no sense to me and I often think that they use this excuse as another way of saying 'Due to us being complete f**k ups and unable to run an effective service'. Tell is how it is guys, I'm sure you would get much more respect for being honest and open. You're useless and can't do your jobs correctly.

And just to add insult to injury, they charge me £170 a month for the privilege of getting stressed because I'm constantly delayed. Nice huh?!

So please tell me First Great Western (@FGW)... What is a signalling problem?!?!

Well, for those of you who have actually read all of the above, I apologise. But I can happily say now, that I feel much better for getting it off my chest :) 

End of rant! 

No comments:

Post a Comment